Location: Any of GHC’s offices: New York, USA; Kigali, Rwanda; Kampala, Uganda; Lusaka, Zambia OR Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date: March 15, 2017
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the US, East Africa, and Southern Africa. Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPS in Washington, DC to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our community members has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 740 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
For more information, visit our website or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Global Health Corps needs an energetic, collaborative, and conscientious leader to serve as its Africa Regional Director, beginning in March 2017. The position will be based in one of GHC’s countries of operation in Africa: Rwanda, Uganda, Malawi, or Zambia. The Africa Regional Director will report to the SVP of Programs and have dotted-line reporting to the VP of Operations (both of whom are based in New York), and will work closely with the Senior Director of Global Talent, tooversee GHC’s regional programs and operations.
This role is perfect for a strong manager and implementer who is passionate about human capital development, partnership building, creative problem solving, and systematizing processes for executional excellence.The Africa Regional Director leads and manages a high-performing group of East and Southern Africa Country Managers and their teams in order to: provide regular fellow support, support expansion of alumni programming, oversee regional operations,cultivate key relationships with placement organizations and content partners and provide overall strategic guidance and for the strengtheningof GHC in Africa. Please note, that while the Africa Regional Director directly manages all of the Country Managers, there is no support staff allocated to the Africa Regional team; it is expected that the Africa Regional Director will perform the full range of strategic and administrative functions necessary for the success of this role.
This position requires exceptional passion for our work, significant experience with and capacity for team and project management, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment. There will be regular travel to all GHC countries for participation in fellow and alumni workshops and trainings, partnership visits, as well as to the US for the annual two-week Training Institute for all new fellows. Other travel may be required as necessary.
- Manage and coach a high-performing, collaborative set of country teams in Africa (Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, and Zambia) and promote a positive work environment
- Travel regularly to country offices to provide 1:1 support to Country Managers as well as accompany them on partnership visits, trainings and workshops
- Work with Country Managers to develop individual professional development plans and support the professional development of each team member to reach his/her full potential
- Mentor GHC’s team members as they take on increased responsibilities
- Ensure Country Managers meet all work deadlines and complete deliverables as appropriate
- Support programmatic and operational staffing growth throughout the region
- Provide direct support to Country Managers on the implementation and management of the fellowship in all aspects of fellowship training, fellowship programming, and fellowship support
- Regularly assess each Country Team's progress on ad hoc projects and support them in managing priorities, including, but not limited to fellow recruitment, fellow selection, partner selection, and fellow retreats
- Participate in fellow and alumni workshops and retreats (including lead coordinator for the End of Year fellow retreat), supporting Country Managers on delivering well-run and smooth execution of these as well as providing an engaging, interactive and meaningful leadership and professional development experience for fellows; lead sessions as requested
- Support Country Team and global Alumni Team in successful execution of alumni-related activities, such as leadership summits, alumni chapter priorities and, sharing learnings across regions
- Work with Director of Partnerships to network and recruit potential new placement organizations throughout the region
- Work with Director of Partnerships and Country Managers to support new and existing placement organizations develop fellow position descriptions, coordinate contracts, and make logistical preparations for hosting fellows
- Work with the Vice President of Operations to identify conditions or factors that adversely affect team performance, the availability of resources, or service delivery or other factors and implement systematic changes to enable successful execution of team activities
- Prudently manage assigned budgets, approving expenditures that are in line with policies and projected spending
- Oversee the implementation of policies and procedures in compliance with internal and regulatory standards
- Assist Country Teams with the adoption and customization of best practices that result in greater team efficiency, speedier compliance, and overall efficiency
- Assist Country Managers in the development of their annual budgets, ensuring financial resources are allocated appropriately to the team's priorities
- Support each Country Team in meeting its compliance requirements with regulatory bodies and authorities, sometimes requiring the Africa Regional Director to fully understand each country's registration processes
- Work closely with the CEO, SVP of Programs, VP of Operations, and Senior Director of Global Talent to set organizational priorities and develop strategies to achieve ambitious goals with limited resources
- Participate in the annual budget preparation for: country teams, any retreats based in Africa, and the organization as a whole
- Lead special projects as assigned from time to time by the SVP of Programs and VP of Operations
- Build and manage relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Improve all aspects of communications with the goal of creating a stronger, clearer brand and expanding our visibility and reach within the GHC countries
- Fluent in English with excellent written and verbal communication skills; minimum of beginning proficiency with French a plus; Swahili a plus.
- Exceptional drive and passion for our work
- Orientation towards timely execution with excellent follow-through skills without being wedded to an exact approach; must be flexible and able to think on one’s feet
- Proven ability to coach and developstaff members at all levelsand maximize strengths to meet work objectives
- High levels of empathy, compassionate listening, and emotional awareness; being able to shift conversations to an appropriate mood
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking abilities balanced with emotional intelligence
- Understanding of and experience navigating cultural differences, especially managing their impact on consensus building and relationship building; an inclusive decision maker
- Comfort with working independently, behind the scenes, and managing team members remotely
- Comfort with handling stressful or uncomfortable situations while supporting others in the process
- Exacting and careful attention to detail with a keen eye for improving systems
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
- Desire and ability to travel frequently to GHC placement countries
- Minimum 10-12 years minimum work experience, with at least 3-5 years working in sub-Saharan Africa; strong preference for work experience in one of the GHC placement countries
- Track record of effectively leading and growing performance- and outcomes-based teams; particularly in a cross-cultural working environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and develop effective teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage systems and processes with strong project management skills
- Experience working under frequent, tight timelines and delivering high-quality work products on time
- Experience working with diverse teams and/or individuals
- Counseling, guidance, mentoring, or leadership development experience preferred
- Experience in multi-national or global organizations preferred
- Experience in leading trainings or workshops a plus
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please CLICK HERE