Call for Expression of Interest (EoI) to Source Consultant (s) or Firm to Undertake Documentation of Innovative Approaches, Partnerships, and Best Practices Adopted by the Rural Youth Employment Support (R-YES) at Kilimo Trust, Kigali, Rwanda – CLOSE: 12/08/2022
Call for Expression of Interest (EoI) to source consultant (s) or firm to undertake documentation of innovative approaches, partnerships, and best practices adopted by the Rural Youth Employment Support (R-YES) Project to create employment opportunities for youth in agribusiness
Kilimo Trust (KT) is a not-for-profit organization working on agriculture and agribusiness for development and creation of employment opportunities across East Africa (Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Burundi).
Kilimo Trust Rwanda is leading the implementation of a five-year project (June 2020 – December 2024) titled Rural Youth Employment Support (R-YES) project funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to create employment opportunities for 3,000 rural youth (50% female) in agribusiness as wage earners or commercial providers of products /services (1,200 direct youth and 1,800 indirect).
R-YES project supports youth aged between 18 and 30 years from Rwanda’s 16 districts, including: NORTH (Gicumbi, Rulindo, and Musanze), WEST (Nyabihu, Rubavu, and Rusizi), SOUTH (Nyanza, Ruhango, Gisagara, Kamonyi and Huye), and EAST (Nyagatare, Kayonza, Rwamagana, Ngoma and Bugesera).
R-YES is implemented in Rwanda by Kilimo Trust in partnership with Rwanda Youth in Agribusiness Forum (RYAF) and Rwanda Polytechnic – with Integrated Polytechnic Regional Colleges (IPRCs), TVETs and Agribusiness Industries as Centers of capacity building and employment.
R-YES project builds technical skills and creates employment around ten (10) priority opportunities, including: (1) Vegetables Production and Processing, (2) Milk Handling and processing, (3) Refrigeration & Cold Chain Management, (4) Operation & Maintenance of agro-processing machinery, (5) Meat handling and processing, (6) Operation & Maintenance of Farm Tractors & Machinery, (7) Forage (Hay & Silage) Production & Marketing, (8) Animal Feed Production, (9) Operation & Maintenance of Field Irrigation, (10) Poultry Farming (layers and broilers).
Through R-YES project, the first cohort of 353 youth are currently undergoing experiential learning at different technical training colleges and agribusiness industries, and some have been retained by partnering agribusinesses as permeant employees.
R-YES project has two specific objectives:
- Building integrated agri-business capacities of rural youth.
- Generating empirical evidence of the developed and tested models to inform policy to drive scaling up of the models to create jobs for youth.
Purpose and scope of the assignment
The implementation model and approach of R-YES project in Rwanda has attracted the attention of public and private sector partners that are critical for scale-up and replication. As a pilot project of IFAD in Rwanda, there is a lot of learning and innovations that need to be documented. It is against this background that Kilimo Trust Rwanda invites applications from eligible consultant(s) or firm to document innovative approaches and partnerships adopted by the project to create youth employment opportunities and document stories emerging from project implementation for experience sharing.The overall objective for the selected consultant(s) or firm will be to undertake documentation of innovative approaches, partnerships, and best practices adopted by R-YES project to create youth employment in agribusiness and documentation of stories immerging from project activities, beneficiaries and implementing partners for experience sharing to inform future program undertakings. These will be used to get an in-depth understanding of the “how” and “why” certain mechanisms or impact pathways work.
The consultant(s) or firm will be expected to deliver on the following:
- Produce one high quality video documentary (HD quality) highlighting R-YES implementation approach.
- Produce three (3) top-notch five minutes videos (HD quality) for three (3) selected innovative approaches, partnerships, or best practices adopted by R-YES project to create youth employment in agribusiness.
- Produce at least three (3) Brief Notes on selected innovative partnerships/approaches implemented within R-YES project that will include a break-down of key elements of the approach used (i.e., context-specific implementation elements, challenge addressed, constraints and solutions, actors/stakeholders involved, time needed for implementation, innovations and key success factors, outcomes or impacts, lessons learned, replicability and/or up-scaling, etc.).
- Produce at least nine (9) articles/ blog posts sharable on social and mainstream media about stories immerging from project activities, beneficiaries and implementing partners for experience sharing to inform future program undertakings.
- Produce a Photo bank of at least 30 high quality pictures.
- Produce and publish at least one newspaper article in the leading local, regional, and international print and electronic media outlets of R-YES project’s case studies/success stories.
- Produce one (1) infographic/ graphic layout of R-YES agribusiness hub showing how different partners and services connect to create youth employment in agribusiness.
- All products should be in English.
- Videos and photos must be submitted to Kilimo Trust on an external hard drive.
Required expertise and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively professional experience at the international level in knowledge management, evidence synthesis, youth employment or another related area.
- The consultant (s)/firm or the core member (s) MUST be fluent in English and Kinyarwanda.
- The consultant(s) or firm MUST have demonstrated experience and skills in writing journalistic article pieces/blogs/news features, Info/Brief Notes, motion graphics, audio visual contents, and documentaries.
- Exhibit experience of developing project related knowledge products for local and international audiences with strong skills in simplifying complex findings through written and oral communication and advocacy messaging to varied audiences, including specialists and policymakers.
The Assignment is expected to start in July 2022 for a period of 15 days.
Interested and eligible consultant(s) or firm shall submit the following:
- Expression of interest addressed to the Human Resource Manager of Kilimo Trust.
- Technical proposal including methodology and work plan for implementation of the assignment.
- Financial proposal highlighting cost breakdown of assignment phases (Pre-production activities, production activities, and post-production activities).
- Personal CV(s) of leading technical personnel proposed for this assignment highlighting relevant qualifications and experience; and
- Work references – contact details (email addresses) of referees (firms for whom you have produced similar assignments).
- Firms should also provide:
- Company registration certificate.
- Tax Clearance Certificate.
- Social Security Clearance Certificate.
Submission and Deadline
All required documents must be written in English and submitted electronically in one folder to [email protected] not later than Tuesday 12th August 2022 at 5:00PM Rwanda Time. Late submission (s) will be rejected.
- Category : Other Jobs