CONSTRUCTION MANAGER at University of Global Health Equity (UGHE), Kigali, Rwanda – CLOSE: 09/10/2022
Job Title: Construction Manager
Reports to: Director of Infrastructure
Division/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The construction manager will work to support the Director of Infrastructure to plan for, manage the design, and execution of UGHE capital projects and renovation works across the entire projects’ life cycle. S/He will be charged with the day-to-day management of all contracts of contractors/consultants and design tracking mechanisms of their deliverables to meet UGHE needs. S/he will work to track project deliverables and provide analytical information required to guide informed decision making. In addition, under the guidance o the Director of Infrastructure, the (CM) will participate in the procurement processes of all construction projects’ contractors and consultants.
- Prepare and report in all construction project meetings
- Document development impact and stories of UGHE Infrastructure projects for future reference
- Timely report on key site incidences including but not limited to health & safety, abuse of all sorts, bribery and corruption.
- Represent the director of Infrastructure in select meetings with contractors
- Develop terms of reference (ToR) for capital projects for contractor/consultant procurement/outsourcing
- Participate in construction related procurement processes of contractors/consultants; proposal revies, negotiation meetings, contract negotiation
- Provide regular updates of capital project works to guide internal and external reporting requirements
Construction Management (From Inception to Close Out)
- Manage project kick off meetings and coordination with all stakeholders
- Develop, communicate, and manage projects teams’ responsibilities and communication matrix
- Develop project risk register and ensure its timely management across the project’s lifespan
- Manage and report on project environmental and social issues of projects.
- Manage, monitor, and control design and construction project work in respect to the project contract terms: to achieve timely completion within budget and at the required level of quality
- Advise on value engineering opportunities intended to maximize value for money without compromising intended quality standards
- Serve as the key liaison between contractors/consultants and the community on matters related to community employment and impact.
- Manage the day to day works of consultant/supervision team on specific projects
- Manage and track project change orders to ensure intended quality and planned cost of projects are maintained.
- Develop and implement project’s documentation and control systems
- Develop site measures to ensure compliance with health and safety norms of Rwandan and international worker safety, health safety and environmental protection (HSE) standards
- Ensure construction site order and adherence to Health and Safety measures as well as employee safeguard.
- Manage client appointed design and/or construction works
- Assist in planning for projects stakeholder meetings;
- Manage operations of the campus furnishing and other installations;
- Coordinate with procurement teams to ensure adequate tracking and installation of materials to the campus
- Document and track the payment history of UGHE campus construction/consultant contractors.
- Work with the project engineer in tracking key project milestones
- Lead projects closeout processes to ensure documented project closures and transition to building operations and maintenance
- Manage the certification processes of projects (building permits, occupation certificates…etc.)
- Coordinate with other department team to ensure integration and synergy of department works
- Supervise other UGHE construction staff including but not limited to project clerk of works
Qualifications, Required Skills, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Civil & Structural, MEP), Quantity Surveying, Architecture, or any other related field
- Experience in project management and/or Construction Administration
- Certified in Project Management; Active Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Experience with collecting, cleaning, analyzing, and presenting large data sets.
- Experience in using MS Excel, MS Project, Computer Aided Design software and management of large data templates/files
- Great attention to detail
- Willingness to take on new initiatives
- Flexible to work outside Kigali Ability to implement administrative processes and systems, both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication, Fluent in English; proficiency in Kinyarwanda and French a plus
- Commitment to global health and social justice.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Commitment to Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At UGHE, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including community members – as well as our students, contractors, staff and visitors to our campus are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and any form of systemic abuse, whilst reducing risk and vulnerabilities. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UGHE’s policy. UGHE will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, harassment, sexual harassment and any form of systemic abuse or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
All qualified candidates should submit their applications by using the” Apply for this job” button below by the 9th October 2022.
How to Apply
To apply for this job in Rwanda, please click on the Apply here button bellow
- Category : Other Jobs