REPUBLIC OF RWANDA
MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT DGG PROGRAMME
Po Box 3445 Kigali
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT/CONSULTING FIRM TO CONDUCT A MIDTERM EVALUATION OF THE GOVERNANCE AND DECENTRALIZATION SECTOR STRATEGIC PLAN (SSP) 2018/19 – 2023/24
- Background context
The Governance and Decentralization Sector Strategic Plan (G&D SSP) 2018/19-2023/24 was developed as a contribution to the National Strategy for Transformation (NST1), which has as its primary focus the transformation of the lives of the citizens in the 7 years’ government mandate. The G&D SSP takes into consideration the Country’s commitments towards national, regional, and global strategic orientations such as Rwanda’s Vision 2050, AU Vision 2063 and EAC Vision 2050, and SDGs (agenda 2030).
The Sector Strategic Plan is in its third year of implementation and it is time to assess the level of implementation in compliance with the set targets. This mid-term evaluation of the Governance and Decentralization sector strategic plan is expected to highlight the achievements, challenges, and lessons learned in order to inform the efforts required to reach the initially planned targets. Corrective actions will be devised, where necessary, to successfully contribute to the aforementioned agenda.
In view of the above and with technical and financial support to the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC) from the Decentralization and Good Governance Programme (DGG) of the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), GOPA Worldwide Consultants is looking for a competent consultant or a firm of consultants to conduct the mid-term evaluation of the Governance and Decentralization Sector Strategic Plan 2018/19- 2023/24.
- The objective of the assignment
The overall aim of the assignment is to conduct a mid-term review of the Sector Strategic Plan for the Governance and Decentralization sector 2018/19- 2023/24 in close cooperation with the sector’s key stakeholders.
- Tasks to be performed by the Consultant
- Prepare a detailed roadmap for a mid-term review of the Governance and Decentralization Sector Strategic Plan 2018/19-2023/24;
- Development of data collection tools
- Conduct desk review of key relevant documents including but not limited to analytical studies and reports such as RGS, CRC, Joint sector reviews, Rwanda Unity and Reconciliation barometers, Rwanda Civil society development barometer, corruption perception index, and Rwanda Bribery Index …
- Conduct and facilitate a technical workshop bringing together concerned sector institutions and other stakeholders to discuss the mid-term evaluation draft report;
- Submit various drafts in accordance with deadlines in the overall calendar with incorporated comments and inputs from consulted stakeholders to MINALOC;
- Present the final draft to the Governance and Decentralization Sector Working Group and Cluster for a further validation process.
- An inception report clearly depicting the consultant’s understanding of the assignment and detailing the methodology to be used to carry out the assignment with a developed roadmap. The report should be submitted no later than 7 working days after the start of the contract period;
- Various drafts of the mid-term evaluation report of the Sector Strategic Plan produced and submitted to MINALOC for comments and inputs;
- A consultative workshop with MINALOC, Sector institutions, and other stakeholders for final comments and observation;
- A final draft of the mid-term evaluation report of the Sector Strategic Plan to MINALOC after insertion of comments and inputs provided;
- Technical Workshop at Governance and Decentralization SWG Level and Cluster;
- A Powerpoint presentation of the mid-term evaluation report of the Sector Strategic Plan;
- Final Evaluation report available to the clients.
I. ASSIGNMENT DURATION
The assignment will be completed in a period of estimated 45 working days from the signature of the contract.
II. REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
The individual consultant or consulting firm will work closely with the Ministry and weekly report to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government.
III. PROFILE OF THE INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT OR CONSULTING FIRM
The individual consultant or consulting firm team leader should have at least a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Public Policy, Political Science, Governance Studies, Public Administration, Project management, Strategic planning, Public financial Management, Development Studies, or in other areas relevant to the assignment. Having a Ph.D. degree in these domains will be added value.
2. REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The individual consultant or consulting firm team leader should have:
(i) Experience in evaluating policies, strategies, and projects;
(ii) Working with central and local government institutions within the Rwandan Governance context;
(iii) A minimum of seven (07) years experience in evaluating programs, policies, and strategies.
(iv) Proven knowledge of analysis of the existing system including policies, strategies, and plans related to governance and decentralization;
(v) Excellent fluency in English (both written and spoken) is a precondition. Knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda would be an advantage;
(vi) Ability to multi-task and work within tight deadlines with a diverse group of beneficiaries.
IV. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Interested consultants’/consulting firms should submit the following documents:
- Detailed CV for an individual consultant/ Company profile & Staff CVs for consulting firm and mentioning the Team Leader;
- Technical offer, including but not limited to an outline of the intended methodology, a timeframe, and proof of relevant experience;
- Financial offer;
- Individual / Company registration certificate;
- VAT registration certificate
The above documents will be sent via email to the contact firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to email@example.com. Interested candidates should submit their application until 22nd July 2021 by 5:00 PM. The email attachment should be a PDF file. Please quote the assignment title in the subject.
V. SOURCE OF FUNDS
German Development Cooperation (GIZ) will provide funds for this assignment.
VI. SELECTION METHODS
The Quality Cost Based Selection will be used.
Done at Kigali on 07/07 /2021.
Permanent Secretary / MINALOC