REPUBLIC OF RWANDA
MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT DGG PROGRAMME
Po Box 3445 Kigali
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR HIRING AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT OR CONSULTING FIRM TO DEVELOP THE DECENTRALIZATION IMPLEMENTATION PLAN 2021-2024
Rwanda has opted for decentralization as a tool to accelerate socio-economic development with citizens in centre of every program. Since the year 2000, the Government of Rwanda made a bold decision in the Governance system by adopting the decentralization policy which aims at strengthening citizen engagement and empowerment and increasing their participation in decision making and socio-economic development programs. It also aims at increasing the level of accountability and quality of services delivered to the citizens. This policy was implemented using a phased approach with the aim of ensuring continuous improvement by drawing lessons from previous phases. The decentralization policy was revised in 2021 in order to accommodate the changes and realities.
The Government of Rwanda is committed to managing the decentralization implementation process of the policy in a transparent and participatory manner. In this context, the Ministry in charge of Local Government, designated as the lead institution for overseeing and coordinating the implementation of this policy will develop the medium-term plan for its implementation through Decentralization Implementation Plan.
In view of the above and with technical and financial support to the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC) from the Decentralization and Good Governance Programme (DGG) of the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), GOPA Worldwide Consultants is looking for a competent and experienced individual consultant or a consulting firm to develop a Three Years Decentralization Implementation Plan 2021-2024.
II. OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
This consultancy is intended to provide a well-elaborated Three Years Decentralization Implementation Plan 2021-2024.
III. SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Local Government, the individual consultant or consulting firm will undertake the following tasks:
- Prepare a detailed roadmap for strategy elaboration, preferably assigning weekly timeframes for activities to be completed in the months leading to the finalization of the Three Years Decentralization Implementation Plan 2021-2024.
- Conduct a deep desk review of the current decentralization policies and other relevant strategic documents.
- Undertake a stakeholder mapping of the relevant actors in the implementation of decentralization indicating key roles and responsibilities of the different stakeholder groups;
- Facilitate consultative workshops between Local Government and Central Government Entities, including Sector Ministries as well other stakeholders to provide inputs and comments on the implementation of decentralization reforms across the sectors;
- Propose a meaningful way to ensure common understanding on the five years implementation of the decentralization among the main stakeholders;
- Produce and submit to MINALOC a draft of the Three Years Decentralization implementation plan with its costing for comments and inputs;
- Provide the final document and a PowerPoint presentation of the Three Years decentralization implementation plan.
- Present the Three Years decentralization implementation plan to the Governance and Decentralization Sector Working Group and Governance Cluster.
IV. EXPECTED DELIVERABLES
- An inception report clearly depicting the consultant’s understanding of the assignment and detailing the methodology to be used to carry out the assignment with a developed roadmap. The report should be submitted no later than 7 working days after the start of the contract period;
- A draft decentralization implementation plan produced and submitted to MINALOC for comments and inputs;
- A consultative workshop with MINALOC, Sector institutions, and other stakeholders for final comments and observation;
- A final draft of the decentralization implementation plan to MINALOC after insertion of comments and inputs provided;
- A Powerpoint presentation of the final decentralization implementation plan.
V. ASSIGNMENT DURATION
The assignment will be completed in a period of estimated 60 working days from the signature of the contract.
VI. REPORTING MECHANISMS
The individual consultant or consulting firm will work closely with the Ministry and weekly report to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government.
VII. PROFILE OF THE INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT OR CONSULTING FIRM
The individual consultant or consulting firm team leader should have at least a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Public Policy, Political Science, Governance Studies, Public Administration, Law, Strategic Planning, Public financial Management, Development Studies or other areas relevant to the assignment. Having a PhD degree in these domains will be added value.
2. REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The individual consultant or consulting firm team leader should have:
(i) Experience in working with central and local government institutions within the Rwandan decentralization context;
(ii) A minimum of seven (07) years experience in policy development on the government programs, policies and strategies. Having experience in designing and formulating implementation plans is a must.
(iii) Proven knowledge of analysis of the existing system including policies, strategies and plans related to decentralization;
(iv) A demonstrated deep understanding of the Rwandan decentralization process and main actors involved;
(v) Excellent fluency in English (both written and spoken) is a precondition. Knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda would be an advantage;
(vi) Ability to multi-task and work within tight deadlines with a diverse group of beneficiaries.
VIII. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Interested consultants’/consulting firms should submit the following documents:
- Detailed CV for an individual consultant/ Company profile & Staff CVs for consulting firm and mentioning the Team Leader;
- Technical offer, including but not limited to an outline of the intended methodology, a timeframe, and proof of relevant experience;
- Financial offer;
- Individual / Company registration certificate;
- VAT registration certificate
The above documents will be sent via email to the contact email@example.com and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested candidates should submit their application until 22nd July 2021 by 5:00 PM. The email attachment should be a PDF file. Please quote the assignment title in the subject.
IX. SOURCE OF FUNDS
German Development Cooperation (GIZ) will provide funds for this assignment.
X. SELECTION METHODS
The Quality Cost Based Selection will be used.
Done at Kigali on 07/07 /2021.
Permanent Secretary / MINALOC