Faculty, Center for Gender Equity
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Description for Faculty, Center for Gender Equity
University of Global Health Equity is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all. Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Center for Gender Equity at University of Global Health Equity was launched in 2020 and is responsible for mainstreaming of gender in UGHE’s academic, research, community engagement and organizational development activities. The Center is also responsible for directing a Gender, Sexual and Reproductive Health Track for UGHE’s Master of Global Health Delivery (MGHD) program as well as Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Surgery program (MBBS), and other long- and short-term training.
TITLE: FACULTY, CENTER FOR GENDER EQUITY
Reports to: Chair, Center for Gender Equity
Location: Butaro and Kigali, Rwanda
UGHE seeks a faculty, an educator, who can use a creative approach coupled with the energy and dedication to:
- develop, modify, and deliver the different modules under the MGHD program – Gender, Sexual and Reproductive health
- develop, modify, and deliver various gender and sexual reproductive health modules for the MBBS (MD) and nursing programs
The faculty should also demonstrate extensive implementation expertise, experience teaching and developing academic training programs, a robust research portfolio, and leadership. The faculty will be required to teach other courses at UGHE, according to their expertise. The faculty is expected to live and work within Rwanda (Kigali and Butaro) to undertake this role.
- Prepare curricula, syllabus, course outlines and course content in gender and reproductive health for students at the University of Global Health’s academic programs
- Deliver training for students, faculty and other relevant stakeholders on gender, social justice and sexual and reproductive health issues
- Contribute to the evaluation of students in a timely and comprehensive manner, consistent with UGHE monitoring and evaluation protocol and course assessment criteria.
Supervising and mentoring (10%)
- Supervise and mentor UGHE’s junior staff in professional development, including education and research on gender, global health and SRH
- Accompany and mentor student and alumni-driven global health research linked to their UGHE training
- Mentor and guide students through their learning as well as ongoing professional growth
Conduct and collaborate on research (20%)
- Engage/ collaborate in the Center’s research activities
- Undertake research leading to peer-reviewed publications focused on gender and global health issues
- Accompany and mentor student and alumni-driven global health research linked to their gender and global health
Organizational development (10%)
- Collaborate with the Center’s Chair and other key personnel at UGHE to develop, implement and improve on plans for the Center for Gender Equity
- Engage in UGHE’s organizational reviews and processes, such as policy and strategy development activities etc.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD or Masters level training in Gender Studies and/or Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Clinical experience (care, research) on sexual and reproductive health
- Background in health (MD, nursing, midwifery) is preferred
- Proven track record of academic experience (teaching and research) – Minimum of five (5) years
- Proven experience in curriculum development, delivery, student mentoring and assessment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Commitment to gender equity and equality
- Commitment to work in a fast-paced environment and employ diverse pedagogical strategies.
- Teaching through diverse pedagogical strategies
- Research skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
BENEFITS: As per UGHE’s salary scale
Applicants should provide: (1) curriculum vitae, (2) graduate transcripts, (3) a list of relevant courses taught including the student profile, sample syllabi, and teaching evaluations (4) a personal statement addressing teaching philosophy and experience working with diverse student populations, (5) at least one example of representative scholarship, e.g. a peer-reviewed article. Please upload these under the ‘Additional Files’ tab on the application page.
How to apply
Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter detailing their interest and aptitude for this position by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2Fooc3ffwC
The deadline: 7th August 2021