GIRL EFFECT TERMS OF REFERENCE
Who We Are
Girl Effect is a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives.
Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development; a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways that they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech that we use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore virtual issues, to magazines written by girls.
In recent years, the funding portfolio of Girl Effect globally and locally has shifted away from being largely unrestricted to restricted funding. In Rwanda, we have had strong partnerships and funding relationships with UNICEF, the Mastercard Foundation, Care International Rwanda, and Gavi. It is a priority for Girl Effect Rwanda during this financial year to (re)define and implement a fundraising strategy that will further support and secure the sustainability of our programming – via Ni Nyampinga. The Fundraising and Communications consultant will work with the Partnerships and Business Development team – to support Girl Effect to define and deliver its fundraising strategy and overall programme. They will revise the current fundraising strategy and support the organization fundraising to help Ni Nyampinga maintain its presence, reach, deepen its impact with youth audiences and build towards a sustainable future.
Scope of work/ Description of Services
Girl Effect is looking for an experienced Fundraising consultant with experience in programme design and a strong track record of creating and securing funding for programmes.
The consultant will be required:
To be part of the Partnerships and Development team and will work very closely with the Country Director to ensure that the right fundraising opportunities are sought in Rwanda, at the regional level as well as internationally. The consultant shall be mainly focused on fundraising and should be able to write bids aligned to the donor’s work aimed at raising funds, negotiations etc. The consultant shall;
- Develop our donor pipeline, actively identifying new prospects, tracking and engaging with them.
- Lead on developing high quality and compelling capability statements, concept notes and proposals working with key contacts across GE Rwanda.
- Lead on the development and implementation of new prospecting plans, keeping abreast of development trends in Rwanda and peer organisations’ work in this field, and maximising opportunities for Girl Effect Rwanda.
- Manage key accounts as assigned, acting as a senior representative to enhance and amplify these relationships
- Identify and engage with key NGO partners to join them in consortias and access donor funding taking advantage of existing fundraising forums such as the INGOs fundraising network group.
- Review and execute the Girl Effect fundraising strategy and set KPI to ensure delivery of set objectives.
- Oversee Girl Effect’s communications with donors and partner organisations including use of social media, meetings, direct communications etc.
- Review collaterals based on the new Ni Nyampinga model including: standard decks, briefs, capability statements etc that Girl Effect staff can use in external meetings and as leave behinds.
- Oversee internal communications within Girl Effect Rwanda and with Girl Effect global to keep the organisation informed on relevant news and developments coming out of Rwanda.
Skills and Experience
- A deep understanding of the donor, development sector within Rwanda and the region
- Minimum of 7 years experience of raising and managing donor and partner funds. Experience working with USAID, the Belgium Government, Sweden, FCDO is preferred.
- Proven experience in writing successful concept notes and proposals to donors.
- Experience facilitating and drafting funding strategies, and writing proposals
- Experience setting up Gantt charts, and other similar processes and systems.
- An excellent writer with outstanding communication and outreach skills: a strong presenter who can achieve high-level buy-in and rally partners for support.
- Experience producing pitch decks and designing partnership lifecycles for multinationals and international development organisations.
- Experience of mapping the partnership potential in-country – identifying both potential revenue streams, as well as, partners who will deliver impact against the target audience.
- Proven ability to work to, and deliver against, key timelines and deadlines through prioritization.
- A collaborative team player able to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds.
- A self-starter, dynamic with a high level of critical analysis and thinking skills and passionate about the work of Girl Effect.
Interested individuals should provide their expression of interest outlining how their experience fits the ToR, a detailed CV and a quotation for monthly rate to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fundraising and Communications Consultant” in the email subject heading by 20th June 2021. You may be required to undertake safeguarding checks. Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values at the interview stage. The successful candidate will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found at https://www.girleffect.org/safeguarding/. We encourage you to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found here. We have zero tolerance to all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.