Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||:||Laboratory Technologist (Technician)|
|: Medical Department|
|Duty Station||:||IOM Kigali, Rwanda|
: General Service Staff, Grade G4 (UN salary Scale for
|Type of Appointment||
: One-year fixed term with possibility of
|Estimated Start Date||: As soon as possible|
|Closing Date||:||July 12, 2021|
|Reference Code||:||VN2021/17 – RW|
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Administrator and the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in country KIGALI RWANDA.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1.Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
2.Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
3.Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
4.Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
5.Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
6.Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
7.Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
8.Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
9.Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
10.Participate in the improvement of the service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High School Diploma with at least four years of relevant working experience or,
- Bachelor’s degree i with at least two years of relevant working experience.
- At least four years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory and direct interaction with patients
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Training on Laboratory Quality Management System (QMS) / ISO15189
- Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Experience in Sample collection (phlebotomy, nasopharyngeal and Sputum)
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance; use of R-HMIS in Covid-19 testing activities.
- Laboratory license to practice.
Fluency English and Kinyarwanda is required, French and Swahili is an added advantage.
All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies- behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering results: Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Communication: Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 July 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a completed Personnel History Form (please download and fill it) and an application letter (not more than one page)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 29.06.2021 to 12.07.2021