Lecturer, MGHD Program
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Position Title: Lecturer, MGHD Program
Reports to: Director, Institute of Global Health
Program: Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD) and MBBS (MD) program
Location: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) in Butaro, Rwanda
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD). Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality healthcare to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is committed to providing an academic experience rooted in global health delivery and equity.
UGHE seeks a lecturer, an educator, who can use a creative approach coupled with the energy and dedication to:
- Develop, modify, and support the delivery of the MGHD program, including Leadership and Management, One Health modules of the MGHD program.
- Coordinate, assist and teach the modules and other related courses in other academic programs at UGHE.
The faculty should also demonstrate vast implementation expertise, experience in teaching and learning and developing academic training programs, a robust research portfolio, and leadership.
This position will be for two academic years, with the possibility for renewal or extension.
The faculty will also be required to support and teach other courses at UGHE, according to his/her expertise.
The faculty is expected to work full-time at the UGHE campus, located in Burera district, Butaro, Northern Rwanda.
- Teach and support the teaching of MGHD modules, especially the Leadership and Management, One Health modules, and other modules of the MGHD as well as other other UGHE programs as expertise applies.
- Adapt and deliver the aforementioned UGHE-developed L&M, and OH modules to promote student mastery in the topics.
- Utilize dynamic and outcome-driven teaching practices (including team-based and problem-based learning approaches) to develop students’ critical thinking abilities and technical expertise.
- Work closely with other faculty to oversee the ongoing design, instruction, coordination, and evaluation of the course.
- Contribute to the evaluation of students in a timely and comprehensive manner, consistent with UGHE monitoring and evaluation protocol and course assessment criteria.
- Serve as course instructors in L&M, OH, or other courses in MGHD as either in the lead or supporting role where skills and expertise apply.
- Respond promptly to student and administrative requests.
- Support students outside of the classroom via in person and online modalities.
Supervising and mentoring (20%)
- Mentor students (MGHD, MBBS and others) undertaking research initiatives related to the course as well as the Practicum, providing guidance on students’ choice of study design and analytical approach.
- Mentor and guide students through the academic year for their ongoing professional growth.
Provide Strategic Leadership (10%)
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the MGHD program, especially the L&M and OH modules, and the integration of the MGHD into UGHE’s future degree offerings, in partnership with UGHE’s Director of IGH, other academic department heads, and non-academic staff.
- Assist in cultivating a strong body of teaching faculty.
- Contribute to the development of new delivery models and modalities for the modules.
- Participate in different academic and non-academic committees at UGHE.
- Be willing to take on academic and non-academic committee responsibilities and ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned by the UGHE leadership.
- Contribute to the continuous monitoring, evaluation, and quality improvement for all aspects of the modules, in partnership with the MGHD team.
- Provide input into the strategy and direction for Global Health Education at UGHE.
Conduct and Accompany Research (10%)
- Undertake research leading to peer-reviewed publications focused on global health delivery and equity.
- Accompany and mentor students and alumni undertaking global health research linked to their UGHE training.
- A Master’s degree in public health, global health, leadership, or other related areas
- Experience teaching and mentoring health science-oriented master’s level students, utilizing active learning approaches.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Experience adapting teaching strategies to accommodate learners of different backgrounds and with different levels of pre-existing content familiarity.
- Advanced training and experience in health, research, or clinical education with a focus on global settings and equity-driven initiatives
- Excitement for working in a dynamic, fast-paced, startup educational environment
- Enthusiasm to work with an academic team to develop and employ diverse pedagogical strategies.
- Experience working or teaching in Rwanda and/or other relevant contexts.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Willingness to relocate to Butaro, Rwanda.
Applicants should submit (1) a Cover Letter detailing interest and aptitude for the position and (2) an updated Resume by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2FoSwTffwg
University of Global Health Equity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The deadline: 15th July 2021