Medical Doctor (Treating physician)
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Title: Medical Doctor (Treating physician)
Reports to: Dean, School of Medicine and Manager of Student Services
Location: Full time at the Butaro Campus, Rwanda
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high-quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
The University launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program, the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD). The joint Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)/ Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD) degree, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse
clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, our medical students will pursue a joint MBBS and MGHD degree.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Medical Doctor (Treating physician) will be responsible for the delivery of quality health services including consultations, diagnosis, and treatment of clients in accordance with the Rwanda Ministry of Health protocols. He/she will be responsible to provide technical assistance and build the capacity of the health facility staff to improve the quality of health service delivery. Under
general supervision, oversees the administration of patient care at the University’s Student Health Services unit. Responsible for the implementation and oversight of an integrated clinical practice delivery model. Directly supervises the coordinator and collaborates with other clinical/medical staff to ensure a high standard of clinical delivery across patient care specialties within the unit. Provides and manages direct health care for a specific patient population.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Directs, coordinates, and oversees patient care within a defined clinical practice of the University;
2. Provides and manages direct patient care to the campus community (students, staff, faculty, visitors, and others), including handling of medical emergencies.
3. Prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate.
4. Refers patients to specialists and to relevant patient care components as appropriate.
5. Maintenance of appropriate clinical documentation of each care recipient in the campus,
6. Maintains standards of confidentiality and patient privacy in maintaining files and the electronic medical database.
7. Serve as a focal person and implementer for matters related to health and health-care in the campus
8. Ensures the University health facility adheres to national and international health standards, specifically from the Rwanda Ministry of Health and WHO.
9. Provides supervision, mentoring, training, and development to clinical staff at the health care unit.
10. Serves as a lead of the student Health services department and participates in the development and oversight of organizational policies, procedures, business models, and strategies.
11. Reviews, establishes, and maintains patient care protocol and standards, ensuring that all policies, regulations, and guidelines for patient care are met;
12. Establishes and coordinates quality improvement, safety, and infection control programs.
13. Follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
14. Represents UGHE at health-related community and/or business meetings, committees, and task-forces;
15. develops the departmental annual budget and will perform periodic cost and productivity analyses.
16. Participates in reporting and analyzing monthly, quarterly and annual reports, including stock reports on pharmaceuticals and HIS data.
17. Provides technical support for health education activities in the clinic and during outreach sessions.
18. Collaborates with Health Services Coordinator and others in developing standards and procedures for the Medical Staff and in monitoring the continuity of Medical activities.
19. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Line Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
How to apply
Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter detailing their interest and aptitude for this position by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2Fob5Zgfwf
The deadline: 22nd October 2021
Stay in touch with Tohoza and we'll notify you about best ads