The Embassy of Sweden is a longstanding development partner to Rwanda. The objective of Sweden’s international development cooperation is to create the conditions to improve the lives of people living in poverty and oppression. The current development cooperation strategy with Rwanda 2020–2024, has a focus on the following support areas (i) Human rights, democracy, the rule of law and gender equality, (ii) Environmentally sustainable development and (iii) Inclusive economic development. In addition, Sweden supports research and higher education in Rwanda.
Exciting Employment Opportunity with the Embassy of Sweden
Position: National Program Officer (NPO)
Duty Station: Kigali, Embassy of Sweden in Rwanda
Reports to: Head of Development Cooperation
About the Embassy
The Embassy of Sweden in Rwanda has about 20 employees, of which 8 are sent out staff from Sweden. The overall tasks include political and economic reporting, trade promotion and the implementation of Sweden’s development cooperation with Rwanda.
The Embassy is now looking for an ambitious, qualified and experienced individual to fill the position as National Program Officer (NPO) to work in the thematic areas of environment/climate change and inclusive economic development.
The Embassy is offering an interesting and dynamic work environment with a good balance between self-leadership and teamwork with a focus on continuous learning and adaptive management. Openness and transparency, trust, courage, togetherness and respect are values that characterize our office
The NPO will manage programs, in both leading and supporting roles, within the two thematic areas of environmentally sustainable development and inclusive economic development as part of the development cooperation team. This includes management of the whole project cycle – analyzing, formulating, assessing and monitoring of programs.
Programs within the support area environmentally sustainable development focus on, among other; renewable energy, biodiversity, sustainable use of natural resources and climate change adaption. In the thematic area of inclusive economic development programs relate to, among other, productive employment, decent work, market development and trade.
- To manage, support and contribute to the identification, formulation and appraisal of new programs in the areas of environmentally sustainable development and inclusive economic development.
- Manage, support and follow-up on program implementation incl. compliance with financial-, program- and reporting requirements.
As NPO you will also be expected to:
- Participate in the operational and strategic planning of the Swedish development cooperation with Rwanda.
- Analyse economic, political and other development in the Rwandan context and to explore potential areas of intervention
- Apply and maintain a close monitoring regarding possible suspicions of irregularities, and act to prevent and stop corruption within areas of responsibility.
- Establish good working relationships with partners and to contribute to the Embassy’s reporting and overall embassy work where deemed necessary.
Candidates will be considered if they have the following qualifications:
- University degree with a strong academic track-record in Environmental Studies, Renewable Energy, Economics, Business or other related areas. Master’s degree in the related area will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience working with international development cooperation of which at least three years in program/project management related to the planning and implementation of programs
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in the areas of environmentally sustainable development and inclusive economic development in the Rwandan context.
- Proven self-leadership skills. Demonstrated pro-active and solution-oriented and positive work attitude.
- An excellent proficiency in English, with the ability to express yourself clearly, both orally and in writing.
We kindly request you to send us your resume (CV) including names and contact details of relevant references) and a cover letter explaining why you would like to work for the Swedish Embassy and what qualifies you for the position.
The Embassy of Sweden is working with the HR consultancy company Sandberg Ltd to complete this recruitment. To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter with two work related references to the following e-mail address:email@example.com
All applications should be marked with the reference: “Embassy of Sweden: National Program Officer (NPO)”.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview
Closing date for all applications related to this vacancy is June 16, 2021 @ 5 pm