Programme Specialist (G, P & C Unit), at UNDP, Kigali, Rwanda – CLOSE: 16/7/2022
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Background and Organizational Context
UNDP is the UN’s global development agency, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help build nations that can withstand crisis and support their efforts to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. It serves as the integrator agency for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP promotes and scales up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, mitigate conflict, forced migration and displacement, and promote more resilient governance systems that advance linked peace and security agendas. UNDP works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies.
In Rwanda, UNDP provides quality advisory services and contributes to the development of national and local capacities to achieve Rwanda’s development goals. In line with the UNDP corporate strategic plan 2022-2025, the One UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework 2018-2023 and the UNDP Rwanda Country Program Document 2018-2023, The Country Office is championing initiatives towards a greener and inclusive society in Rwanda. UNDP works with national and local partners to advance development including through promoting the transformational governance agenda which is not only one signature solution under the UNDP strategic plan but also on pillar of the Rwanda National Strategy for transformation. UNDP has been a long-term partner to the Government and national partners in Rwanda in the area of governance with focus on peace building and reconciliation, e-governance, local governance and decentralization, democratic governance, justice and rule of law, accountability and citizen empowerment, inclusive governance, economic governance, human rights and gender equality, etc. Currently, UNDP Rwanda is recruiting a Team Leader and Programme Specialist who will be leading the transformational governance portfolio of the Country Office.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the deputy resident representative – the programme specialist and Head of Unit oversees the governance portfolio of the Country Office and advises to senior management on all aspects of governance and peacebuilding work in Rwanda. He/She undertakes timely research and analysis to keep abreast of emerging governance issues and provides first-class advisory services to the management of UNDP and partners while ensuring thought leadership and effective delivery of results in the governance area.
The Head of Unit ensures that the UNDP transformational governance interventions respond creatively to emerging challenges and opportunities and remain consistent with UNDP global objectives and national development priorities. In recent times the portifolio has evolved to include aspects of trade, disability inclusion and gender mainstreaming. The Head of Unit is responsible for delivering on these areas. The incumbent also takes lead in implementation of the CO’s resource mobilization strategies, strengthens strategic partnerships, and undertakes knowledge building and sharing.
As a Head of Unit, He/She leads a team of professionals in charge of coordinating and implementing various initiatives under the governance portfolio. He/She works in close collaboration with the Advisory team members, the Programme and Operations teams both from the Country Office but also the regional and HQ level to develop innovative solutions required to fast track development in Rwanda thanks an effective governance system.
The Program Specialist and Head of Unit will contribute to key NST sectors namely the Justice Rule of Law-and-Order sector working group where UNDP is the Co-Chair and the Governance and decentralization sector working group where UNDP is a member. Within the UN framework, the program specialist will contribute to the implementation of the UNSDCF 2018-2023 with focus on the result group on transformational governance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provision of quality upstream advisory services to the management of UNDP and partners on transformational governance.
- Management of the Country Office Transformational governance portfolio
- Leadership of the team working on transformational governance
- Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management.
Provision of quality upstream advisory services to the management of UNDP and partners
- Conduct of research and analysis of the governance and political situation of the country and identify entry-points for UNDP focus and programming.
- Keep abreast of key policy and legislative frameworks and formulate recommendations for decision making by relevant authorities
- Provision of quality upstream advice to the management and staff of the Country Office and other partners on issues related to governance.
- Identification of strategic and innovative areas of collaboration.
- Identification of best practices and lessons learnt informing adjustment of programmes and strategies both by UNDP and partners.
Management of the Country Office Transformational governance portfolio
- Conduct strong situation analysis and sound investment assessments to inform timely and strategic interventions by UNDP Rwanda.
- Design and formulation of the Country Office governance portfolio translating UNDP’s global priorities and consistent with national priorities and the local context.
- Lead and ensure quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation with due consideration of the UN programming principles mainly leave no one behind (gender equality and human Rights), resilience, sustainability and accountability.
- Coordination of programme implementation with the partners and executing agencies including setting and overseeing performance indicators/ success criteria, targets, and milestones
- Effective application of Result Based Management principles and tools
- Effective management of financial resources and lead on compliance with all UNDP financial accountability and transparency rules.
Leadership of the team working on transformational governance
- Develop a strong vision of transformational governance and lead the team through its implementation
- Provide daily and proactive guidance to the governance team towards achieving the Office goals
- Build and enhance the UNDP’s human capital through coaching, knowledge transfer for delivering successfully on the governance targets
- Develop and closely monitor the team’s and individual performance targets in line with UNDP’s rules and regulations
- Enhance collaboration and team spirit within the team and the office as well as strong delivery capacities
Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization.
- Effective contribution to the CO’s Resource Mobilization Strategy.
- Actively support development and maintenance of an enduring system for donor intelligence, strategic partnership and resource mobilization tracking.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities.
- Lead the formulation of project proposals and related resource mobilization strategies
- Enhance partnership both at national and global level
- Ensure accountability on various partnership agreements both in terms of results but also the finances.
- Promote the communication of results using various traditional and innovative mechanisms
Facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Facilitating the process of creating and raising level of awareness of CO Governance activities.
- Facilitating and advocating for gender equality and inclusion within the CO programs and operations.
- Support to capacity-building of national counterparts.
- Promoting a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the COs.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the country programme for organizational sharing and learning.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: Head of Unit- Transformation and Governance Unit
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
- Achieve Results:-LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively:-LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Act with Determination:-LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner:-LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion:-LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Communications-Advocacy strategy and implementation-Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change. Ability to position a UNDP brand and uphold it to a high level of quality
- Partnership management-Multi-stakeholder engagement and funding-Knowledge and ability to forge multi-stakeholder partnerships and remove any obstacles to resource mobilization and multi-stakeholder funding platforms, ability to map donors and effectively engage them in areas of the UNDP work and comparative advantage.
- Digital & Innovation-Data analysis-Ability to extract, analyses and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making. Promote innovation and digital in managing the assigned portfolio.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Development studies, Law, Political Science, International Relations, Public Policy Management, Public Administration, or other development-related fields.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managerial position at the national or international level.
- Proven experience in providing technical, policy and advisory services in governance within a national, regional and international organization.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring, and evaluation of development projects in the field of governance.
- Extensive experience in working with the public sector, the private sector, the civil society, and the media as well as international organizations
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems essential.
- Effective communicator with effective writing skills
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested candidate may submit through the “Apply Here” button below Apply Before : 17/7/2022, 03:59 AM
- Category : Other Jobs