Job vacancies at PAX PRESS for media development programme
PAX PRESS, a network of Journalists promoting peace, human rights and democracy in Rwanda since 2006 is implementing a five-year programme for capacity building and professionalization of the media together with Fojo Media Institute. The programme will focus on news and newsroom production, in line with international journalistic core values of truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability that will have a strong gender focus. The programme is funded SIDA (Sweden) and SDC (Switzerland).
Fojo Media Institute belongs to the public Linnaeus University in Sweden and is the country´s leading organisation for media development, strengthening free, independent and professional journalism in Sweden and globally. Since 2015, Fojo has supported the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Rwanda with capacity building.
The Specific objective of the programme is: Strengthening the independence, professionalism, and sustainability of key actors in the Rwandan media sector with the aim to increase media diversity and media integrity with the following outcomes.
- Outcome 1: Commercial and non-profit media are strengthened to become financially sustainable and to produce and disseminate public interest journalism, reflecting the full composition of society through a balanced presence of women and men, age groups and communities.
- Outcome 2: RBA is strengthened in the process to become an independent, trustworthy and sustainable Public Service Media (PSM) provider, according to international journalistic and public service standards.
- Outcome 3: Journalism education institutions have increased skills concerning practical journalism, awareness of gender issues, and are better connected with the Rwandan media and the international journalism community.
PAX PRESS and FOJO seek to recruit the services of a Project Assistant who will help to achieve outcome 1 and 3.
3. Project Assistant
a. Main tasks of the Project Assistant
Activity and resource planning
- Assist the Programme Coordinator, Project Manager, University Coordinator in ensuring that all project activities are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Help the Programme Coordinator, Project Manager, University Coordinator to create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Scan media trends to keep up-to-date on the latest media developments
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Help the Programme Coordinator, Project Manager, University Coordinator to measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques
- Collect and report both qualitative and quantitative information regarding activities being implemented that will be used as evidence to inform decision making
- Collect and report best practices
- Maintain a tracker of key action points agreed upon at management meetings and disseminate progress of implementation
Communication and networking
- Help the Programme Coordinator, Project Manager, University Coordinator to establish and maintain relationships with media outlets and other partners
- Ensure that programme activities and key events are disseminated to the media and partners by preparing material to be shared with partners and also posted on social media
- Ensure that all activities implemented have a gender balance
- Give constructive feedback
- Carry out any other duties as may be determined by his/her supervisor
b. Job requirements of the Project Assistant
Alternatively: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/Communications/Media or related (essential)
- 3 years of work experience with journalism, communication or a function within the Media sector or
Alternatively: 5 years’ experience as a project assistant
- Understanding of Rwanda Media Landscape, media development and media regulations
- Ability to facilitate workshops, seminars and conferences
- Ability to foster long-term relationships with members of the media.
- Critical thinker with strong conceptual and research skills
- Gender sensitive
- Natural leader who displays strong decision-making and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and writing skills (English and Kinyarwanda, knowledge of French is a plus)
HOW TO APPLY
1. Interested and qualified candidates to the above positions must submit the application online on: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must contain the following documents:
- Motivation letter mentioning clearly the position you are applying for;
- Detailed CV, (including at least names, telephone numbers or email addresses of 2 referees);
- Copy of your degree and other relevant academic certificates;
- Copy of your ID;
- Supporting documents providing proof of past professional experience.
2. Fill out the below form as part of your application.
3. Final provisions
- Only shortlisted candidates meeting the required qualifications will be contacted for Written and Oral tests.
- Candidates will be requested to show the original documents before any final decision is made.
- Tentative Start date is July 12th, 2021
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for submission of your application is 18th June 2021 not later than 5.00PM, Kigali time.
Done at Kigali, 08 June 2021
National Coordinator of PAX PRESS
TWIZEYIMANA Albert Baudouin