Job Title: Regional Officer, Communications (Central Africa Regional Officer)
Department: Central Africa Region (CARO)
Reports To: Regional Manager, Marketing and Communications
Country/Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Salary Grade: 9
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Regional Officer, Communications (ROC) for CRS’ Central Africa Regional Office (CARO) will implement a communications strategy that establishes CRS as an industry leader with key audiences in the U.S. and in the region. The ROC will capture and effectively disseminate written and multimedia content that demonstrates the impact of CRS’ work across the region, increases CRS’ visibiltiy and influence among key stakeholders, and supports business development through effective positioning. (S)he will establish and maintain relationships with US and international media representatives based in the region, and regularly pitch stories for publication. The ROC will help ensure strong and consistent branding and messaging and work with country program Communications or other designated staff to create impactful and compelling storytelling.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Travel throughout the region to gather information on CRS and partner programs and create compelling human interest-focused content, including stories, photos and videos, that can be used for marketing and communications materials across platforms and for different audiences.
- Identify and utilize effective distribution channels to disseminate marketing materials to key audiences.
- Help manage the design and production of creative and compelling communication and marketing material and in conjunction with country program and HQ MarCom staff, coordinate visits of freelancers to the region.
- Establish and maintain relationships with US and international media representatives based in the region and frequently place CRS in high level and strategic media to increase awareness of CRS .
- Support country program Communications staff in the development and execution of annual work plans for communications and marketing.
Basic Qualifications (BQs)
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism/communications preferable
- 5 – 7 years work experience in journalism, communications and public/media relations
- Solid understanding of U.S. and international media
- Proven track record of high-level US media placements
- Experience working in international development preferred
- Proven written and oral communication skills
- Significant photography and videography experience
- Basic knowledge of social media, especially Twitter
Required Languages – Strong oral and written skills in both English and French
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 40-50 %.
Supervisory Responsibilities – Dotted line supervision of country program Comms staff
- Knowledge of video editing
- Overseas work experience in the developing world, preferred
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions
How to apply
Electronic applications-Only a motivation letter and a current detailed CV should be addressed to the CRS Country Representative exclusively at RW_HR@crs.org not later than Wednesday June 30, 2021 at 5:00pm.
Please, include below statement in your motivation letter:
“By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics”
Include also your full names and title “CARO Regional Communications Officer” in the subject line. Due to anticipated high interest in this post and the expected number of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Kigali. June 15, 2021
Ag Country Representative