Terms of Reference for the recruitment of Individual Consultant
Position : Technical Support Assistants for Digital Identity Program – Smart Africa Trust Alliance Initiative (SATA)
- Location: Hybrid (Mainly virtual and Kigali, Rwanda)
- Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension based on availability of funding and performance
- Application Deadline: 18th July 2021
I. About the Smart Africa
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including the private sector, international non-government organisations, and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in ICT’s power for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead Africa to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformative power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services, and creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
Smart Africa aims to put ICT at the Center of the National Socio-economic development agenda of member countries, improve access to ICT, especially Broadband, improve accountability, efficiency and openness through ICT. It promotes the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication while putting the Private Sector first, and leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development.
II. About the Smart Africa Trust Alliance (SATA)
The Smart Africa Trust Alliance (SATA) will be a powerful force for systemic change across Africa, harmonising Smart Africa Members’ digital identity solutions through a rigorous and respected certification process. This will have many positive effects, accelerating digital inclusion and generating a myriad of associated socioeconomic benefits for millions of individuals – as well as public and private sector stakeholders – across the continent.
SATA also reviews some of the most pressing identity-related bottlenecks to progress that SATA alliance members has been explicitly designed to address. These demonstrate the benefits that can be expected to result from embracing interoperable digital identities. This includes boosting intra-African trade as well as the physical mobility between Member States.
SATA will bring together a cross-continental consortium of public and private stakeholders committed to realising a common digital identity certification process. Underpinned by a sustainable framework of agreed principles, procedures and technical standards, SATA will utilise a secure, federated governance to build trust among all parties involved in the Alliance, whilst also always ensuring that the sovereign rules set by member states remain respected.
Directly contributing to social and economic development through its support for both the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), SATA will empower people, companies and other actors to engage socially and economically across the borders and jurisdictions of Smart Africa Member States. By reducing barriers to cooperation and supporting the creation of a single digital market in Africa, SATA’s secure digital ecosystem will thus promote four interrelated opportunities for growth. These are:
- The Movement of People (e.g. assisting labour, families and marginalised groups to cross borders),
- The Movement of Data (e.g. enabling data pooling and sharing, cross-border credit scoring),
- The Movement of Money (e.g. accessing bank accounts, enabling cross-border payments), and
- The Movement of Goods (e.g. boosting e-commerce, facilitating continental free trade initiatives)
III. Duties and Responsibilities
The Smart Africa Secretariat would like to recruit a Technical Support Assistants for the Digital Identity Program under SATA, to support the implementation of the SATA pilots in selected Smart Africa Member Countries while ensuring effective communications to a diverse range of stakeholders (private sector actors, governments, international organizations, etc.). The Technical Support Assistants will work as an individual consultant to assist on SATA activities.
Main responsabilities include:
1. The Support of SATA Operational Planning activities
The Technical Support Assistants, will support the following activities:
- Establishment of process and project management milestones and needs for the execution of pilot projects ;
- The development of two-year human resources and recruitment plans for SATA ;
- The establishment of a monitoring and evaluation plan for pilot projects ;
- Establishment of a two-year SATA budget.
2. The preparation of SATA pilot projects with at least three (3) Smart Africa Member States
The SATA Technical Support Assistants, will support the following activities:
- Initial impact and feasibility assessments of pilot projects ;
- The management of stakeholders and the preparation of meetings with high-level poltical leaders in Member States ;
- The preparation of a Joint Declaration of Intent between participating stakeholders to the pilot projects for the 2021 Transform Africa Summit ;
3. The alignement of relevant authorities and other stakeholders on the roll-out of SATA pilot projects
The SATA Technical Support Assistants, will support the following activities:
- Recruitment and oversight of local consultancy firms (for the mapping of stakeholders, feasibility reports, pilot action plan) ;
- Organization and moderation of a series of alignment workshops with the relevant stakeholders in participating countries ;
- Draft and signature of MoUs with countries and relevant private partners by the end of 2021.
4. Other responsibilities will include:
- Facilitate the monthly review of SATA’s implementation activities;
- Document routine progress, success, and the implementation process;
- Provide analytical learnings from the implementation to ease scale-up of activities;
- Providing periodical reports on the progress of project activities and issues arising;
- Support Project activities including input into project planning and documentation; assistance with implementation resources, monitoring, and reporting on project progress;
- Engage and communicate with Smart Africa Members and partners of the Smart Africa Alliance;
- Coordinate of meeting and events for the establishment of SATA and technical workshops on pilot projects; Any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa;
IV. Key qualifications
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in ICT, Information Systems and Communications, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or other relevant fields;
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in digital/ICT product development area at a national or regional level;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both French and English;
- Excellent MS powerpoint and visual documentation skills such as infographics;
- Proficiency in MS Office.
General experience and skills:
- Familiarity with digital identity and information systems initiatives;
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels;
- Experience in results-based management, project monitoring, reporting, and evaluation;
- Demonstrated written, analytical, presentation and reporting skills as well as familiarity with modern communication systems (internet, the world wide web, email, and related);
- Ability to work in a team;
- Strong competence in using standard software productivity tools (such as Microsoft Office Suite or others).
- Excellent Knowledge in French and English will be an added advantage. Fluency in one and good working knowledge of the other language is required.
V. Duration of the assignment
The duration of the assignment is expected to be six months (6), renewable subject to availability of funds and performance assessment.
VI. Reporting requirements
The Technical Support Assistants will report to the Project Manager in Charge of Digital ID & e-Payments
The position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda
VIII. Application Instructions and Deadline
Candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 18th July 2021.
- A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to the ToR;
- A CV in either French or English with 3 contact information of referees;
- Copies of academic certificates and other relevant professional certificates.