UN Dispensary Physician (Nationals Only) at UNDP – United Nations Development Programme, Kigali, Rwanda – CLOSE: 6/12/2022
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: To be prepared by the CO. The incumbent is the Head of Service (HOS) and reports to the please add as per the reporting line at the DS for administrative matters and to the UN Medical Director, DHMOSH for technical matters.
Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Senior Medical Officer (HOS) will be responsible for the following duties: Clinic Management:
- Oversees the delivery of high-quality occupational health services in the UN workplace, including employment clearances, travel medicine services and travel clearances
- Oversees the provision of workplace clinical services including first aid and emergency care, access to UN programmes such as PEP kits, and effective referral to local healthcare services.
- Oversees clinical practice in relation to in-person occupational health clinical reviews and examinations.
- Develops and oversees the delivery of occupational health and safety programs including workplace and home ergonomics programs and workplace safety and health risk assessments.
- Oversees and provides specialist guidance on workplace(reasonable) accommodation requests with a medical component in line with UN policies
- Oversees the delivery if effective workplace or general health promotion programs
- Develops, exercises, and provides a local emergency response / mass casualty capability integrated with local security plans.
- Advises on other aspects of health including public health relevant to the duty station, through liaison with host state/host nation health authorities.
- Ensures quality in services including the implementation of quality control mechanisms and procedures, the use of published UN clinical guidelines, and adherence to patient safety and adverse event reporting requirements.
- Oversees the delivery of high-quality primary care, including examination and treatment, referral and follow up with external clinical services
Oversees the provision of recommendations or determinations related to medical entitlements
- Oversees the completion of sick leave, including where required liaison with individual staff members and their healthcare providers to ensure effective sick leave management
- Oversees the development and implementation of return-to-work programs
- Monitors sick leave usage in conjunction with human resources staff and prepares and finalizes disability summaries and reports for the Medical Director and UNJSPF
- Oversees medical evacuation and repatriation services where required
- Oversees the provision of advisory services to the Geneva based office of the ABCC.
- Undertakes mediation and informal dispute resolution related to medical entitlements, and where required represents the medical service in formal dispute resolution bodies such as medical boards or the UN Dispute Tribunal.
- Manages the work and results of all staff working in the medical service, including where appropriate occupational safety staff or remote staff supervised by the medical service
- Ensures medical confidentiality and release of medical records/information is in accordance with UN policies and requirements.
- Manages access to the EarthMed medical record system
- Undertakes annual planning,
- Undertakes the planning and preparation of budgets and prepares reports on budget performance and results
- Ensures the development, generation and reporting of relevant key performance indicators documenting health support performance including responses to audit requests on health performance.
- Ensures timely recruiting and training of all new staff, and effective performance management.
- Ensures effective continuous professional development of staff and their career management.
Advisory, liaison and representation:
- Undertakes regular coordination with the Office of the Director, DHMOSH UNHQ.
- Oversees workplace health and medical service communication products, and liaison/outreach with external actors.
- Briefs and advises senior management on all healthcare matters relevant to the workplace, including health policies, business continuity, enterprise risk management, and representation at crisis response and related bodies.
- Represents the medical service on health and medical entitlements matters before the UN judicial system and UN investigative bodies.
- Ensures effective occupational health representation at the local occupational health and safety committee.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of clinical, occupational safety and health and tropical/travel medicine. Ability to manage a diverse and multicultural team and to operate efficiently under stressful circumstances. Good drafting ability in English and French. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates; provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and
comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Qualifications: Education: Doctorate (MD) or equivalent in medicine, including residency/internship in one of the medical specialties, preferably occupational medicine. Further certification in internal medicine or general practice is desirable.
Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible clinical experience in one of the areas of medicine, including at least five years in the Occupational Health field, are required.
Two years of managerial experience in the medical field including budgeting, supervisory responsibilities and resource management are desirable.
Experience in an International Organizations with field deployments desirable. Experience in travel medicine related to Occupational Health is desirable. Experience with team and/or project management is desirable.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and French in both languages is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Other: ( To be determined and specified by Programme Manager, as required or desirable, at the time of building a specific vacancy announcement. Qualifications listed in this part should be of a technical nature and not related to education, experience and language as indicated above.)
How to Apply
To apply for this job in Rwanda, please click on the Apply here button bellow
- Category : Health & Medical Jobs