Job vacancies at PAX PRESS for media development programme
PAX PRESS, a network of Journalists promoting peace, human rights and democracy in Rwanda since 2006 is implementing a five-year programme for capacity building and professionalization of the media together with Fojo Media Institute. The programme will focus on news and newsroom production, in line with international journalistic core values of truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness and public accountability that will have a strong gender focus. The programme is funded by SIDA (Sweden) and SDC (Switzerland).
Fojo Media Institute belongs to the public Linnaeus University in Sweden and is the country´s leading organisation for media development, strengthening free, independent and professional journalism in Sweden and globally. Since 2015, Fojo has supported the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Rwanda with capacity building.
The Specific objective of the programme is: Strengthening the independence, professionalism, and sustainability of key actors in the Rwandan media sector with the aim to increase media diversity and media integrity with the following outcomes.
- Outcome 1: Commercial and non-profit media are strengthened to become financially sustainable and to produce and disseminate public interest journalism, reflecting the full composition of society through a balanced presence of women and men, age groups and communities.
- Outcome 2: RBA is strengthened in the process to become an independent, trustworthy and sustainable Public Service Media (PSM) provider, according to international journalistic and public service standards.
- Outcome 3: Journalism education institutions have increased skills concerning practical journalism, awareness of gender issues, and are better connected with the Rwandan media and the international journalism community.
PAX PRESS and FOJO seek to recruit the services of a University Coordinator who will help to achieve outcome 1 and 3.
2. University Coordinator
a. Main tasks of the University Coordinator
Activity and resource planning
- Administer the whole process around analyzing and evaluating the requests for assistance from the Universities (together with the relevant Committee)
- Implement requests that have been approved by the Committee
- Assisting in managing the phasing out activities at SJC
- Facilitate participation in international research conferences
- Organise trainings/workshops for lecturers in specific topics to enhance teaching and learning
- Arranging extra internships and study tours for high-performing students focused on journalism
- Assist in the sourcing and recruitment of consultants and expert-volunteers and guest lecturers/trainers using different recruitment techniques
- Assist in the Collection of information on qualifications and skills of expert volunteers and guest lecturers/trainers
- Arrange for the orientation, installation, exit-meetings with expert volunteers and guest lecturers/trainers and universities
- Manage expert-volunteer flight and local travel schedules
- Communicate frequently with expert volunteers and guest lecturers/trainers
- Ensure expert-volunteers and guest lecturers/trainers are satisfied by creating a healthy working environment
- Keep and manage records of volunteers’ and guest lecturers/trainers information (qualification and contact information etc)
- Track volunteers’ and guest lecturers’/trainers’ work
- Ensure that all activities implemented have a gender balance
- Promoting gender sensitivity among lecturers and students and towards students with special needs.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Help in the evaluation of expert volunteers and guest lecturers’/trainers’ work
- Collect and report best practices
- Collect and report both qualitative and quantitative information regarding activities being implemented that will be used as evidence to inform decision making
- Maintain a tracker of key action points agreed upon at management meetings and disseminate progress of implementation
Communication and networking
- Liaison with all journalism and Communication schools in Rwanda to determine short and long-term needs as per signed MoUs.
- Exchange/networking with media sector in Rwanda and regionally
- Facilitate cooperation with gender experts to improve gender awareness and equality in journalism schools
- Give constructive feedback
- Carry out any other duties as may be determined by his/her supervisor
b. Job requirements of the University Coordinator
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/Communications/Media/Education/Public relations or related (essential).
- 5 years of work experience in Media related activities/teaching/or similar
- Deep understanding of Rwanda Media Landscape, media development, media regulations and Rwandan higher education system
- Ability to facilitate consultants, volunteers, workshops, seminars and conferences
- Ability to foster long-term relationships with members of the media and academia
- Critical thinker with strong conceptual and research skills
- Strong skills in intercultural communication
- A natural leader who displays strong decision-making and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and writing skills (English, French and Kinyarwanda)
HOW TO APPLY
1. Interested and qualified candidates for the above positions must submit the application online at: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must contain the following documents:
- Motivation letter mentioning clearly the position you are applying for;
- A detailed CV, (including at least names, telephone numbers or email addresses of 2 referees);
- Copy of your degree and other relevant academic certificates;
- Copy of your ID;
- Supporting documents providing proof of past professional experience.
2. Fill out the below form as part of your application.
3. Final provisions
- Only shortlisted candidates meeting the required qualifications will be contacted for Written and Oral tests.
- Candidates will be requested to show the original documents before any final decision is made.
- The tentative Start date is July 12th, 2021
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for submission of your application is 18th June 2021 not later than 5.00 PM, Kigali time.
Done at Kigali, 08 June 2021
National Coordinator of PAX PRESS
TWIZEYIMANA Albert Baudouin